The area used to be a marsh until the end of the XVIII century. Here a rail network was built in 1902: it connected the mines around Massa Marittima to the harbour and it was used to transport iron, pyrite and coal. The network was extended at the beginning of the XX century until Follonica and a passenger transport service was also provided.
In 1944 the railway was definitely closed down and the only part left is the old train station.
By the old train station, a traditional cattle fair takes place on the 1st of September every year.